Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Reading Notes: Turkish Fairy Tales, Part B

The first story in the part was quite interesting and I enjoyed the first half, but then it got a little confusing. The story was about a maiden who was in a way summoned by a bird to find her "kismet". I didn't know quite what that word was, but once I looked it up, I found out that it meant destiny or fate. Continuing on with the story, there was a lot of really good detail that made you picture the surroundings. In my story I want to try to incorporate more detail. I feel as if really good stories make you feel a part of them. I did not like the second part of the story, I felt a little confused and like it didn't connect with the first part entirely. Somehow there was someone called Bey who granted presents for the servants and the maiden requested a brown patience-knife and a yellow patience-stone. I don't exactly know what they meant by "patience" there. They Bey wasn't quite able to deliver on his promise, but somehow ended up with them for the maiden. She used them to describe a story and in the end she eventually found her kismet. I thought it was weird how she stabbed herself with the knife and the Bey jumped out and said that she was his kismet. Overall, I thought it was an interesting tale. Maybe in my stories I can include more magical aspects.

(Patience-Stone and Patience-Knife, link to web source)

The next story I enjoyed was "The Imp of the Well". Again, I did not know what an imp was, so I looked that up as well and found out that it meant some sort of devil or spirit. The story started off very well. I thought it was funny how the many left his wife in the well. She seemed to not let him do anything on his own and always took from him, so that was bad karma when she fell in the well. The story had a twist to it when the woodcutter left his wife in the well and came back for her the next day. The imp appeared and the woodcutter had to sort of go on a mission for saving the imp from the well instead of his wife. Somehow they ended up back at the well and the woodcutter felt bad for not saving his wife. The imp didn't know if he believed the man so the story sort of left off in a mystery. I could use something like that in my story and leave things off with a mystery and people wanting to find out more. Cliffhangers are a good twist because they leave people to their own imagination and interpretation of the story.


Bibliography:
Forty-four Turkish Fairy Tales by Ignacz Kunos, link to web source 

No comments:

Post a Comment