Sunday, February 5, 2017

Reading Notes: Turkish Fairy Tales, Part A

The first part of this reading was very interesting. I wasn't sure what to expect before I started reading the stories. I don't know a lot about the Turkish culture. The first story was about fear and a boy trying to find it. I like how the author included a lot of dialogue into his story. I think for my stories I need to do that more. I also liked the theme of the boy searching for fear, but not really being afraid of it. There were some fairytale aspects to the story, but it was not what I was anticipating. There were some maidens that found the boy and offered him some nice things, but he was still on the search for fear. As the boy was still in search, he was offered to be the Shah, but declined as he wished to find out what fear was first. I liked thought it was interesting that something landing on his head meant that he was the Shah. Eventually he sat down with the Sultana who was able to scare him by placing a bird in side the dish that when he opened it, it flew out. I thought the ending was pretty basic though. They all lived "happily ever after", and I thought something more dramatic was going to happen.

The next story that I liked from these was about a fisherman. The intro to the story really drew me in to it. The fisherman was able to discover his passion and from that he gained a fish. I like how the fish was brought to life. It really added a new dynamic to the story. I think it would be cool to bring something to life in one of my stories. I also thought it was unique what things the fisherman had to bring to the Padishah. He requested some extravagant things the fisherman was able to deliver so he wouldn't have to give up his maiden. My stories could use a little more creativity like these.

(The Fish-Peri, web source




Bibliography:
Forty-four Turkish Fairy Tales by Ignacz Kunos, link to the reading online 

No comments:

Post a Comment