Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Week 3 Storytelling: The Dog and the Egg

There was a Dog and a Chicken that were the best of friends. They did everything together, from frolicking around the chicken coop to playing in the mud. Nothing could separate their bond... or so they thought. The Dog was always getting into things that he shouldn't be and he was always hungry.

One day, the Dog noticed his friend, the Chicken, laying some eggs. Although he did not know what they were, his senses were off the charts. They smelled so delectable, he asked the Chicken if he could have just one of his many eggs. The Chicken replied, "Are you crazy? No you may not have one, I am waiting for them to hatch. You may never take from me." Not sure what to o, the Dog respected his good friend and attempted to stay away from what the Chicken was watching.

As the Dog and the Chicken were hanging out one day, a farmer came and scared the Chicken off of her eggs so that he could take some for himself. The Chicken was not happy to say the least. The Dog whimpered, "What is happening? Why is the farmer taking your eggs from you?"

The Chicken cried back, "He is taking my eggs to eat. They will never become my children. The farmer will turn them into scramble."

Curious to help and friend... and find out more information on these eggs, the Dog took off after the farmer to see what he would do to them.

The farmer walked to the inside of his rickety house with haste and the Dog trailed not far behind. The Dog, unlike the Chicken was allowed to go inside the house. He wandered through the intricate and delicate furniture to follow the farmer to the kitchen. Wondering what he would be doing to the egg, his eyes stayed glued to every move that the farmer made. The Dog watched him heat up a pan on the stove and glob a slice of butter on to the pan. Then, it happened.

All the sudden, the farmer grabbed a bowl out of the cabinet and cracked the egg. "Woof woof", the Dog attempted to exclaim to the farmer. The farmer did nothing but hush the dog up and began to whip the eggs. The Dog had never seen anything like this before.

A few minutes later, the farmer had made what he called "Scrambled Eggs" and began eating it immediately after it was on his plate. After the farmer was all done, he set the plate down and called the Dog over to eat. He too lazy to rinse the plate off, so he let the Dog lick off the remainder.

The overly excited Dog scrambled over to eat the scraps as they tasted so delicious. Although he felt guilty about his friend and betraying him, he continued to eat this magical meal.

Still curious after finishing, the Dog still wanted an egg all to himself. He waited until the farmer wasn't looking and swiped an egg off the counter and ran off with it. Hiding from the Chicken and the farmer, he looked at the shiny white round thing that lay before him. Feeling guilty, he put the whole egg in his mouth and swallowed it whole. It was painful, but the Dog did it and didn't feel any different, nor did he really enjoy eating the egg. Not wanting to tell the Chicken what he did, he tried to keep it a secret from his friend as they continued about their business. About three days later, the Dog was not feeling great at all. He was sweating profusely and sick to his stomach.

The Chicken tried to help his friend, but didn't know what was making him feel this horrible. The Dog's fever would not go away. Thinking he wasn't going to survive, the Dog exclaimed to the Chicken that he had eaten a raw egg and betrayed him. He was apologetic to his dear friend and vowed never to betray their friendship again...

(The Dog and the Chicken, Web Source
- - - 


Author's Note: 
After reading through some of the stories by Milo Winter, I came across an interesting one called, "The Dog and the Oyster". As interesting as it sounds, it was about just that. In the original story, the Dog would go around eating whole eggs. When he was out by the sea one day, he ate what he thought was an egg, but was really an Oyster. The Oyster upset his stomach and the lesson was that if you act too quickly, you'll end up being sorry. For my story this week, I added a different twist to the story. I left out the oyster part and elaborated on the egg that the dog ate. The lesson here again is that the dog acted too quickly without realizing what could happen.

Bibliography: 
Aesop for Children by Milo Winter, link to source 

6 comments:

  1. I like where you went with this story! I was kind of hoping that the dog wouldn't eat the egg and end up stealing the eggs from the farmer to give them back to his friend :(. I liked how you described how guilty the dog was and how eating the egg didn't give him any satisfaction in the end. You incorporated the lesson well! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cute little story. I like how you personalized the chicken and dog. I think it also says something that the dog tried to remain faithful which is exactly how dogs are. This story almost makes me feel bad for stealing chicken’s eggs. I have a lot of friends who raise chickens and that’s what they do. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily!
    I really enjoyed your read tonight!
    You are incredibly talented with captivating attention and are clever in the way you deliver your stories. I think it is so true that people are so used to acting so quickly towards things they forget that they could be doing something wrong. We all need to slow down sometimes and your story was a great reminder of that!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emily!

    I really enjoyed this story! I felt that it had such an adorable amount of innocence to make it endearing. The friendship between the chicken and the dog is so sweet. I also enjoy the dog's curiosity. Especially since it is so close to the actual character of a dog. They always want to know what is going on! I also enjoyed how you had a detailed author's note so that I could really understand how you came up with the idea and what inspired you.

    The only typo that I found was the one where instead of to go you have accidentally typed to o. Other than that I didn't find anything that needed to be changed. Sometimes when we type too fast it is possible for us to accidentally miss a key.

    Other than that, I think you did a great job! I can't wait to read more stories from you! I wish you good luck for the rest of the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed this story! I like how you stayed pretty true to the original story and only changed a few things. I think it is really interesting how there is kind of an underlying lesson in that it is never good to betray your friends. You never know what might happen. I was curious as to how the chicken responded to the news of his friend's betrayal? Also, did the dog die from eating the whole egg?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I think you did a great job with your story! I like how there was a lesson involved. I do not know the original story, but I had a lot of fun reading yours! I think it flowed very well, and I didn’t feel lost while reading. Great work! I also really liked the very beginning of your story when you introduce your characters because it caught my attention.

    ReplyDelete