Monday, April 17, 2017

Reading Notes: Russian Folktales; Part A

The first story for Part A was quite interesting. I read The Dead mother and there were aspects that I like and didn't like at the same time. I felt like it was a change from all of the other stories I have read and could eventually be turned into a scary movie or something. The basis of the story has to do with the mother dying during childbirth and her "ghost" coming back to feed the baby and keep him calm at night when no one is around. When the nanny starts to notice this, she notifies others and they seek out waiting for what is to come. I find it interesting that they do catch her in the act and suddenly the baby is dead. Maybe there is more to the story? I think I could try to add some dialogue to this story or  I would rewrite the ending to explain more of what was happening.


The next story started off with another couple and the wife dying... I hope there isn't a common theme of that. Maybe I'll make the husband die to give the female a stronger role? Anyways the rest of the story I actually enjoyed very much. The poor man whose wife had died just wanted someone to help him bury his wife. He went to the pope was turned down because he did not have any money. Somehow the old man acquired a pot of gold and went back to the pope and asked him again. The pope accepted this time, but still questioned how the old man got the money. The pope talked with his wife and decided to rob the poor old man. Things didn't turn out so well for the pope as he took the money, but his disguise ended up being stuck to him. I like the idea of karma happening. The poor man seemed to be very good and realized that he had survived before being poor. Maybe I will do a story with a lesson about being greedy?

The final story that I want to discuss is The Bad Wife. At first I really liked where the story was going, even though maybe I should create a story called "The Bad Husband", since they seem to devalue the woman's character. I did like how whatever the man said, the wife did the opposite. I think there could be a lot to add from a story based off of one like this. After she got tricked into going into the forrest I got a little confused. I think I would make a completely different ending and have her trick the husband into it? I could also make her into a better character and not into a Demon like the story makes her out to be.




Bibliography: Russian Fairy Tales by W.R.S. Ralston

No comments:

Post a Comment