Thursday, April 13, 2017

Story Planning: Week 12

I've never done a story planning post before so this might be a little interesting... I have included my notes from the first story that I read with more detail. The story I chose from my section was "The Rose Tree". The story started off very subtle, then got a little interesting.

The gruesome part really disturbed me. It had a stepmother chopping off her stepdaughter's head. The stepdaughter seemed a little naive. I think in my story post I would include more dialogue and more of a reason for the stepmother to do so. I also though about having the children (since the stepmother also had a son) change identities.

Even though it would be really sad, I think the boy should dress up like the girl to make it seem like they are playing a trick on the stepmom. She was very fond of her son, so I think it would be interesting to add a part about her thinking it was the daughter instead of her own son. I think I could build some type of moral out of the story that way. The stepmother would then feel really guilty about learning the truth of what she had done to her son.

The stepmother also had them eat the daughter for dinner, so I was really disturbed by that part. I think I would get rid of that and maybe have something more evil happen to the stepmother. I do like the idea of her just regretting what she had done to her own son though.

Another idea I had to have the father more involved and go after the stepmother for doing that to a child. I know revenge isn't always the best, but if someone did that to my child I would be mortified. I also wanted to add some more dialogue and description to the story.









BibliographyEnglish Fairy Tales

2 comments:

  1. Hey Emily!
    I always write a story planning post as I find it helps me really get a grasp on how and what I want to say! I love using bullet points as a way to write my notes and then I copy and paste my notes into the planning post and elaborate just like you did! I like to BOLD out my new notes to make it easier for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Emily, I haven't given story planning post a chance but I definitely will because you have some great ideas to create your own version of the story! I agree, adding more dialogue and description about the characters always adds value and allows the audience to engage more with the story. You have some great ideas, good luck on writing the story!

    ReplyDelete