Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Story Planning Week 13: The Headless Prince

For my story planning post I wanted to focus on the story called, "The Headless Princess". There is a lot to this story that I think I would do to change it. For starters, I would call it, "The Headless Prince". After reading the original story, I thought that the boy should end up getting his head chopped off and that he should be of higher status, such as a prince. Most of the stories in this series had to do with some bad fortune to women most of the time, so I felt like the roles should be reversed.

In the original story, there is a Princess who is able to take her head on and off. She only does so in the privacy of her castle. The boy catches her taking her head off. This is where I would change things up a bit. After the boy catches her doing so, he goes and spreads the word. This is then where I would make things a little more interesting happen to the prince. In the original story the princess dies, and tries to get revenge on the boy for watching and he called her a witch. I think that I wouldn't make her evil, but just have her teach the boy a lesson not to invade other's privacy.

For the beginning of the story,  I think I should also talk about why the princesses head is detachable. Was she born that way? Maybe. I feel like it could be some type of legend. Maybe the princess caught someone else doing that so it could end up being some type of spell that is cast upon whoever watches. Maybe the king and queen were evil to the princess in the earlier years of her life.

I also thought may be this could be some type of love story between the princess and the boy. Maybe they somehow end up together after both of their heads are chopped off. I think it could be kind of romantic in a way. They might end up different from everyone else that they know, but at least they have each other.




Bibliography
Russian Fairy Tales by W.R.S. Ralston

4 comments:

  1. Hi Emily! I really like your plans for this story! I definitely would go with the idea of giving the woman a backstory. Since this is a Russian tale, you might find something interesting in Russian history to base it on. I also like the twist of the boy becoming headless. You mention possibly creating a love story. An interesting thought I had about this is maybe having the boy purposefully having his head removed with the intent of living forever with the princess, but, in a tragic twist, the princess not love him back and now he's dead.

    There is definitely a lot of room to make this a really cool story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you are choosing to reverse the roles! This sounds like a really interesting story in general. I think it would be fun to make it a love story because I would imagine it to be hard to find someone to accept you if you had a detachable head. Ha, but who knows. I am excited to read what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Emily! I really like your idea of reversing the roles in your version of the story. I also really like your idea for changing the story to where she teaches the boy a lesson. I think it is a really good idea to add some background into the story about why her head is detachable. I really like the ideas you have going on for some of the background stories. I would have to say that the "legend" idea is my favorite though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emily! I really like your ideas for your version of this story! When I read this story, I definitely did not like many details of it! I also did not want the girl to be evil, and I think it would be a really interestingood twist to make the story a love story! I think all of your ideas are really good though. Good luck with your story!

    ReplyDelete