Monday, April 17, 2017

Reading Notes: Russian Folktales; Part B

For Part B, I enjoyed reading The Headless Princess. I was expecting something entirely different than what the story turned out to be. I thought that the princess would have her head chopped off or something in the story. The story already has her with her head attachable and detachable. That would be so weird if people could just take their heads off and on. I bet I could add a back story to why her head was chopped off in the first place. In addition, I liked how it did involve a neighbor who spread rumors about her. When she died, the kid had to read stuff to her that terrified him, but he listened to the granny and stayed safe. Eventually, they told the king that the princess was evil and the boy was rewarded. Seems very interesting that he was rewarded for something like that.

The Warlock was another good story to read in Part B. I liked how this time it was the father that had died and he left special instructions to his sons after he was dead that their wives needed to do. He had three sons and left special instructions for a cross to not be laid on him. The sons wives would be sent in to spin wool. The first two wives were tricked and strangled by the father. The third wife, however had better luck as she decided to not be fooled and bring a cross in. When he tried to strangle her, she set the cross on him and he died and she was left with treasure. Maybe I will add more to the story of what happens and what the cross on the father really represents?

The last story I wanted to take notes on was called "The Two Friends". I wasn't sure what to expect, but I thought the story was a bit strange. It had to do with two friends who promised they would invite the other to the wedding even if someone was dead. One of them was dead, but the other still went to his grave to invite his friend. His friend ended up somehow tricking the groom into drinking and a few hundred years had passed. I wonder what could have made his friend do this? Was it jealousy? I should add to the story to make for something more interesting.



BibliographyRussian Fairy Tales by W.R.S. Ralston

No comments:

Post a Comment