Saturday, January 21, 2017

Famous Last Words: Discovering Myself

This week went fairly well for me. I am still trying to get situated and back into the grind of class and studying. This semester I am going to put more energy and time in trying to figure out what I want to do with my life and in a way "discovering myself". I have enjoyed this class so far! I am not a huge writer, and I like the idea of posting different blogs that will allow me to express myself more. I do not usually write out my thoughts for other people to see or read, so this is pretty new to me. Some things I have already enjoyed so far in this class was the reading about time management and the growth mindset. I feel as if I still have so much to learn about myself and the world around me and these were just the beginning to open up more ideas within me.

I have enjoyed reading other people's works and writings. I like to see similarities and differences in how people think. The first writing assignment we did, was a way to show that you can use other people's work to become more creative. This relates to how creative people are and possibly how creative I can become in this class. I would like to become a more creative writer. I think this class will help me to succeed in other aspects of life outside of just school.

Additionally, I have made connections from this class to my other class. I want to have more of a growth mindset and make goals that I can achieve. I want to be able to take into account everything I have learned and to recognize that failure isn't the end, but just the beginning. I hope to learn a lot more from this class and apply it to my other classes as well!

(Image of brain and ideas; Web source

5 comments:

  1. Hey there again Emily! I've never done a Famous Last Words post, but I can totally relate in all aspects of yours! It's the 6th week of class and I'm still trying to get adjusted with school and work lol. It's a tad difficult when things come up in my life outside of the two.
    I too am still discovering myself in a way and it's definitely a process. I normally don't share my writings with anyone else, but that's what they're for, just for yourself. I've never really dabbled in creative writing either and am truly glad this class gives us the opportunity to do so. It's a lot of fun!
    I also like the idea of growth mindset, because I hadn't learned about it until this class and hope to continue to improve in that aspect as well. Before learning about growth mindset, someone told me that there wasn't such a thing as failure but the process and then I came across this topic. It was meant to be, so I'm trying my best to do better in the process of things rather than the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second this post! I am not much of a writer either, but this class has helped me to improve I think (and hope ha). It is really interesting to see how people can take the same stories and interpret them so differently. I like to see how differently people think and how there is really no wrong interpretation when writing your own story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey again Emily, I just finished writing on someone else’s blog about how I think this class is really great for helping us expand our creative writing skills. When I signed up for it, I thought it sounded fun but I was a little bit nervous about it, because I wasn’t sure what to expect. Now, I’m really glad I did, because I think taking this class has really helped me expand my creative writing skills and has also given me the confidence to put my work out there, even if I’m not 100% certain that it’s good enough. I think that’s the hardest part of being a creative writer: learning to accept vulnerability. Anyways, I hope you’re having a terrific semester and a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, I agree that it's interesting to see how other people think and write and this class is definitely set up to cater to that. I've never done much creative writing either so this class is a whole new beast for me. I find it so much easier to take objective notes about the reading and take quizzes and write non-creative papers, so this is really difficult for me. I think it's challenging me in good ways, though. I think it's forcing me to think differently and I think that's definitely a good thing in the long run. Hopefully you feel the same!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Emily! I completely agree that it is kind of weird to post my thoughts and ideas to a public blog. It has definitely taken some time for me to get used to it. It is crazy to think that I graduate so soon but, like you, I still feel like I have a lot to learn. I would not ever consider myself a creative person but I do think that this class has taught me that I can be.

    ReplyDelete