Sunday, January 29, 2017

Reading Notes: Aesop for Children, Part A

I really enjoyed reading these fables. They all had a lesson to be taught within the story and at the end of the stories there was a line that repeated the lesson. I think in my writings I should include more lesson. One story from Reading A that I thoroughly enjoyed was "The Dog, the Cock, and the Fox". The descriptions were very detailed and that is something I should work to improve in my writing as well. In addition, the lesson was very clever. The Fox thought that he could trick the Cock who was wandering in his territory. In the end though, the Fox was tricked by the Cock because he didn't know that there was a Dog with him. Not only do I enjoy lessons, but I enjoy stories with a twist to them. When things don't turn out the way they are expected, I think that really draws the reader in. Another story that I enjoyed reading was "The Gnat and the Bull". Even though it was a short tale, it left me with a powerful message. The Gnat was resting on the Bull and thought he was high and mighty. When he was leaving from resting on the Bull's horns he made an announcement. The Bull wasn't even aware of the Gnat and the Gnat thought that he was so great. 
(The Gnat and the Bull, Web Source

When thinking about my own story that I will write this week, I think it would be cool to add a lesson or reverse a lesson. The last story that I really enjoyed was "The Sheep and the Pig". I think it would be interesting to do a take on the animals as food items talking to each other and maybe adding in some dialogue. With the Sheep and the Pig story, the Sheep were unaware of why the Pig was squealing so loud when the Shepard took him. They didn't understand that the Pig would be killed for bacon and the sheep were only being used for their wool, which would grow back. I could do a twist on the story where the Pig escapes somehow and the Shepard or the Butcher are the ones that get killed for their meat.

Bibliography: 
Aesop for Children by Milo Winter, link to the reading

No comments:

Post a Comment