Saturday, January 21, 2017

Growth Mindset

Before this assignment, I had not heard of Carol Dweck or her concepts of a growth mindset or a fixed mindset. After watching her video's I learned more insight as to what it was and thought of it as a way to apply to my life style. I think the idea of "Yet" is something we should have been taught long ago. Sometimes I feel like I look at failure the way people have a fixed mindset, when I should be learning how to grow from my mistakes. Life and school is all about who is the best at things, and I don't think people really stop and take the time to help those who do fail to see their full growth potential. I like the who idea of "Not Yet", and think that it is something that should be implemented.

In my own personal life, I feel as if I am torn between trying to grow and having that fixed mind set. I think I should be more open to growing from my mistakes or failures, however, and not dwelling on them. I really wish I had been taught this at an earlier on age. My time at OU has had its ups and downs. A lot of the time when learning, I feel like I am just going through the motion and not taking everything in entirely, while other times I feel like I am learning so much and I am not sure how to retain everything I take in. I think I can use this concept by Dweck as a way to put my own experiences into perspective and realize that everyone is on a different level of growing and that things will take time.

I am excited to learn more about growth vs. fixed mindset more in to this semester. I hope to not only improve my creative writing growth in this class, but also take in everything I am learning in other classes as a chance to grow and not feel stuck in a fixed position.

(image source from web

No comments:

Post a Comment