Saturday, January 21, 2017

Wikipedia Trail from Demons to Capital Punishment

After looking through the class announcements I came across the word "demons" and decided to start my Wikipedia journey there. I do not know much about the term or where it came from.

Demons: A supernatural presence found in not only religion, but mythology, literature, folklore, and much more. It was interesting to learn that the Greek word does not have a negative connotation associated with it. I have always though of demons as evil.

Superstition: The word demon led me to this word on the Wikipedia page. Is is the belief in supernatural casualty. I think the whole concept of superstitions is fascinating. The term originated in 1948, when B.F. Skinner wrote about his experience. It would be interesting to learn more about the origin of superstitions and why people attribute them to certain things.

Ten Commandments: Known as the Decalogue, these are a set of principles that are followed by some religions, primarily Christianity and Judaism. They serve as a fundamental path for interpretation.

(Ten commandments; web source

Capital Punishment: This is also known as the death penalty, where people are put to death for a crime they have committed. Capital punishment is very controversial. Subjects sentenced to death are done so as a punishment for what they have done. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Emily, this looks so fun! I love it when I am on Youtube looking at something and 30 minutes later I am looking at who knows what and have no idea how I got there! This reminds me of that, and it's an entertaining way of getting extra points! I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Emily! Your findings are really interesting! I also did not know anything about the history of demons or where it came from. I did not know that it did not have a negative connotation associated with it. I'm really shocked that your journey led from Superstition to the Ten Commandments and then to Capital Punishment. That seems like an odd combination to me.

    ReplyDelete